Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Rejection

Rejection.

Feeling raw with the latest rejection of an art piece for a gallery show
I thought that I'd look up the definition in the dictionary. Sometimes plain words can soothe a rough edge.

Merriam-Webster's definition of rejection: "to refuse to accept, consider, submit to, take for some purpose, or use." Ok, well that didn't make me feel less pain about it.

The self-talk, which began before I found out my piece had not been accepted, now upped the chatter. The piece wasn't good enough, wasn't good. And worse, maybe the other shows I got into were flukes!

There is no knowing why a piece gets rejected, or for that matter, accepted...jurors usually don't say.

You're either in or you're out. 

It's the same kind of feeling as being in grade school and no one picks you for their team. Or the birthday party you didn't get invited to. Or your crush who ignored you when you gathered up the courage to say hi. Or all the times you waited for him (or her) to call you back, ask you out, like you back. That feeling. 

You tell yourself it's just that one juror, one show, one time. You tell yourself next time. You work harder, pick more carefully, hope again. That someone, some stranger, will see the value in your work, find it worthy. Pick it. Pick you.

Hope. That's a whole other discussion. Hope is such a tease.

So, next time.



You can visit me on Facebook at tART - Photography and Art by Terry Rowe,  https://www.facebook.com/tarrowe. If you'd like to purchase a print of any of my images please contact me or visit my website, http://terry-rowe.artistwebsites.com/. 

4 comments:

  1. More power to you for keeping on trying. JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good news is you know how good your work is and so many others recognize your talent. You'll survive and thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a captivating photograph. Try to put the 'rejection' behind you - something better will come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a struggle through - but I already have new plans! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!