Friday, October 26, 2018

On Artists and Rejection

As a creative, I am compelled to make art. I am also compelled to share that work, to expose self and vision, and in that exposure, risk rejection.

I submit work to juried art shows - and sometimes that work is accepted and sometimes rejected.

No lie, it's easy to be accepted, it's a sigh of relief, a sign of validation.

Being rejected is hard. I question the work, the choice I made to expose myself, and wonder why my work wasn't chosen. What was missing for the juror? What was s/he looking for? Should I have submitted a different piece?

Rejection is a chance to learn, to grow, and to try again, but first I deal with the hurt of rejection. And it always hurts, no matter how many times it happens.

Once I spiral past the hurt, I review the work. I re-focus on the next step, the next deadline for submission, the next art project. And I re-read this quote from Ramesh Lohia: "Each rejection brings us closer to acceptance."

Pictured below is "The Chair" - it was rejected for one show, but juried into another and sold. 

"The Chair"




Artwork & words by Terry Rowe.

All work can be or is available for sale, visit www.terryrowe.photography. You can also leave me a comment if there is a particular piece of work you are interested in.

I am grateful for all of your comments and views.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!