Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week 1 of a Year of Photography and Art

This year I will create a work of photographic art every day - some days it will be a photograph taken that day, some days it will be a photograph processed in the digital darkroom for that day, and other days it will be a photographic composition created for that day. This is my fifth "project" year - previous years have been all photographs. This year I want to incorporate some photographic compositions, story pictures, digital painting.


Day 1 is a photograph of a daguerreotype in an old leather case that I found in an antique shop. I wondered who this young man was, who loved him, who did he love. Someone treasured him, enough to have a picture of him, enough to keep his picture.

I enjoy still life photography - the challenge to create the composition, imagine the story, and then capture the image.









Days 2 and 3 were explorations of digital painting.















Day 4 was a visit to Arlington National Cemetery. I wanted to photograph the Christmas wreaths put on the graves, especially with the snow still on the ground.

 Day 5 a still life of tulips in a window sill with digital painting and some textures.


 Day 6 found me traveling to the banks of the Potomac River to photograph one of my favorite trees, a sycamore on the banks of the river.

Day 7 a still life photograph of an old book, leather bound book and a costume jewelry right with the word, FLY. The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde is a story is about a golden prince and a swallow, about love and sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. And I had missed a couple of these even with you in an interest group.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!