Saturday, January 25, 2014

Week 3 of a Year of Photography and Art


Week 3 and the unusually cold weather continues. The challenge, in addition to fighting a wicked cold, has been to create photographs I find appealing and engaging. I'm longing to be outside but reluctant to expose myself to the weather - so, for the most part, I'm forced to focus on what is near to me.

Day 15 I created an abstract out of the scratches on a fence my dog makes as he tries to scale the wood chasing squirrels.


Day 16 is a photograph of a WWI Army wool uniform jacket, "Ike" style. I love the thick heavy wool and the brass buttons. This jacket came from my grandfather, and I love it. But I don't wear it any more, and I've decided to let it go to someone who would wear it or use it. So in preparation for "releasing" the jacket I have been making photographic studies of it.


Day 17 I met up with two friends for a day's outing - I layered on clothes, loaded up with cold medications, cough drops and kleenex and set out. It was exciting and exhausting - a day spent with like-minded friends and my camera is priceless. This is old barn, near a house that is being restored, the lowering sun was shooting over the mountains and the light was lovely. Somewhere outside of Frederick, Maryland.


Days 18, 19, and 20 found me recovering from my exertions and hunkering down to stay warm and nurse my cold.



Day 18 is a collection of found feathers I keep on the kitchen windowsill just as the morning sun started to streak in.




Day 19 is my dog, Bear, looking out into the back yard. I caught him just as he licked his lips.


Day 20 is a composition of a rose and a book at my bedside.
Day 21 was a day long snow storm, periodically I bundled up and ventured out into the blowing wind to try and use my macro to catch a snow flake. The snow was very dry so catching individual flakes was the easy part, dealing with the cold and the wind was more of a challenge. But, for a first attempt at macro snow flakes I was satisfied. I have more work to do, but I also have some idea of what I need to work on.


If you would like to see my work on a daily basis, as well as other projects I undertake, please follow me on Facebook at my page, tART - Photography and Art by Terry Rowe,  https://www.facebook.com/tarrowe.













1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!