Monday, December 15, 2014

An Abandoned Silk Mill and a Steam Engine Train

A couple of weekends ago I made a return trip to the Lonaconing Silk Mill. The mill, also known as the Klotz Throwing Company, was in operation from 1907 to 1957. The mill and all it's equipment and furnishings is largely intact; it was purchased by Herb Crawford in 1978 and for a small fee he allows photographers free reign for shooting.

I rode out to Lonaconing with my friend Marie, and I remember telling her I hadn't shot at the mill two days in a row & that I wasn't sure how two days in the same location would go. Lonaconing is such an intensely rich photographic location that I shouldn't have worried...Lonaconing always delivers.

After four hours, in freezing cold and wet (the mill leaks), we took a break to warm up & grab lunch. Then it was back out to the train station in Cumberland. We were determined to photograph the steam engine coming into the station. The gray cold and rain added to the atmosphere and we were happy to greet the incoming train.









































































If you would like to see my work on a daily basis, as well as other projects I undertake, please follow me on Facebook at tART - Photography and Art by Terry Rowe,  https://www.facebook.com/tarrowe. If you'd like to purchase a print of any of my images please contact me or visit my website, http://terry-rowe.artistwebsites.com/.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Terry, long time no see. I am no longer with FB, have kept my blogspot page but not posted anything in a long while, have been housebound for quite some time now due to illness from which I am recovering. Hope you remember me! :-)

    Your photos are all stunning and I am able to imagine you and your friend having the wet cold blast taking them.

    There are a lot of photography communities and art photography communities on g+ you may want to have a look at because you can sell on them too.

    Cheers, Shayna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayna,
      I do remember you - thanks for getting in touch. Hope your health is improving!

      Thanks for tip! T.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!