Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Flight 93 Memorial


I was in Pennsylvania for a photo-shoot at an 1860s era wool mill and decided to stay over one more day so I could visit the memorial to Flight 93 in Shanksville.

I was at work on Capitol Hill on 9-11-2001. I saw the reports on the first plane hitting the Twin Towers in New York and was watching, live, when the second plane hit.

My staff and I evacuated our building and were on the street when the third plane hit the Pentagon.

We heard the explosion, saw the smoke.

Rumors flew. The Old Executive Office Building had been hit. The bridges out of the city were closed. There were other planes, flying bombs, in coming.

The streets were gridlocked, horns blaring, sirens. People on foot had strange, dazed looks to their faces.

About 20 or so of us took shelter in the apartment of a Congressman. He had no television and barely any furniture. We sat on the floor and listened to the radio. Mostly silent, in shock.

News reports broadcast that Flight 93 crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.










Later, we found out the passengers...learning of the other crashed planes...decided to try and take back the plane...to save themselves, to save others.

On September 11, 2001 United Flight 93 was only 20 minutes flight time from the nation's capital when the passengers and crew of the plane rushed the cockpit in an effort to overpower the hijackers. Flight 93 crashed in a field outside the town of Shanksville in rural southwestern Pennsylvania.
I knew I had to see the ground they had made their own.

Flag, Flight 93 Memorial Plaza

I visited on a cold and bitter day in late March, the wind was knife-cold, winter lingered. The memorial is in a large area of open fields, the peacefulness of fields in direct contrast to the horror of what happened here.

I knew this would be an emotional visit, but I was unprepared for the intensity of the overwhelming sorrow I felt upon viewing that single boulder marking the point of impact.

Point of Impact
I will be forever grateful to the passengers and crew of Flight 93, for their courage, for their compassion, for their willingness to take a risk to save themselves, to save others.

#NeverForget





You can visit me on Facebook at tART - Photography and Art by Terry Rowe,  https://www.facebook.com/tarrowe. If you'd like to purchase a print of any of my images please contact me or visit my website, http://terry-rowe.artistwebsites.com/. 



























4 comments:

  1. I told myself I was not going to read this. I do not watch anything from 9/11. I am an early riser and I was up early that day when my best friend in Albuquerque called me and asked if I had the TV on. I had a TV then. Don't now but I suppose if it happened again I could see it on the computer.

    I got to the TV in time to see the first replay of the first tower being hit. It was live when the next plane it tower two. All I remember of that day and the next was the constant replay of that and the collapse of the buildings. Flight 93 and the Pentagon were mercifully off cameras. But I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and we were on alert for weeks.

    Couldn't fly but we had to be on call in case we had to fly. I told a friend on our wing I thought a lot of mistakes were made. It should not have been possible. And we should do something to make it impossible. TSA is not it.

    I keeping hoping I will get past PTSD from the coverage before it happens again. I am not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure we'll ever really get past our memories of that day.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the photos and the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!