Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New Day, A New Year

This first day of 2014 has been a quiet day, a day of planning and contemplation. I made two decisions relevant to the new year.

First, I decided to revive a personal custom of writing out a list of wishes / plans for the coming year. I write down what I'd like to see happen, what I'd like to do in the coming year. Once complete the list is placed into a sealed envelope and put away. On December 31, 2014 I'll open the envelope and compare what I thought I wanted to have 2014 be to what 2014 turned out to be.

Second, I decided to continue my 365 photograph a day project although with some modification. This year I will create a work of photographic art every day - some days it will be a photograph taken that day, some days it will be a photograph processed in the digital darkroom for that day, and other days it will be a photographic composition created for that day.

Today, for my first project of the new year, I worked on a still life composition. This particular work was a photograph of a daguerreotype in an old leather case that I found in an antique store. I wondered who this young man was, who loved him, who did he love. Someone treasured him, enough to have a picture of him, enough to keep his picture.


A Young Man, Day 1, January 1, 2014

5 comments:

  1. I look forward to following you on this new project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea about placing your wishes in a sealed envelope for the year. Very intriguing photo of a handsome anonymous young man. Happy new year Terry! Looking forward to some lucrative photo excursions in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! Looking forward to lots of photography in 2014.

      Delete
  3. Good blog. I too decided to continue the photos but are not calling them a challenge.

    Tomorrow I am working in a list of some sort. Not sure what to call it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!